Wednesday, 19 August 2009

DHL relay in Mindeparken

I took part in the annual DHL relay in Mindeparken yesterday, together with a bunch of colleagues from work. We managed two teams for the race, and one team for the walk - I was one of the walkers and we had a lovely route through the wood, skirting the bay and then back to the park.

DHL-stafet i Mindeparken DHL-stafet i Mindeparken

The weather was perfect and the park teeming with people. This year they've had to stretch the race across three days in order to accomodate all the participants. The walk is a new addition to the relay, it's only been a part of it for 2 or 3 years I believe, and we were over 3500 participants in the walk yesterday - cars of people trying to take the (wrong) short way back from a day at the beach were stuck on the pedestrian-congested roads for up to an hour.

DHL-stafet i Mindeparken DHL-stafet i Mindeparken

Everyone in the park was milling about, getting ready for the races, putting on numbers, sitting down for a chat then jumping up to change clothes or shoes - it was almost impossible to sketch anyone.

DHL-stafet

DHL-stafet

In the end when the races were through the sun set, people filled up on grilled chicken, fresh fruit and large beers, and finally sat down for a bit of rest. I did a quick watercolour in the darkness by the light of the embers - the colours were mixed from experience with the palette, rather than from any ability to actually see what I was doing, and I was quite surprised at the result when I got home.

embers

View larger :HERE:, and you can also find detail scans in my Flickr stream.

All in all a really nice evening.

2 comments:

  1. I like the watercolor, too! Hard to believe you did this in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy :)
    It was dark, but I could still see a bit - I was mostly surprised by the colours, which I couldn't make out properly in the dark.

    ReplyDelete