Friday, 4 June 2010

Under Englen

Had lunch with R at café Under Englen (underneath the angel) today. It's finally warm enough to be comfortable in the shade - just how I like my weather.

under englen wip

under englen wip

under englen


Various markers and pens. For some reason or other R timed me, and the sketch took 12 minutes to do - including our food arriving and the women at the next table striking up a conversation, but minus the text and the red on the backyard wall, which I added afterwards. I have no sense of time when I'm drawing, so wouldn't have known what to guess at if someone asked me how long this took - our perception of time is quite elastic, as per "waiting for the kettle to boil".

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I removed my post because wanted to add something - Lovely drawing - you can see it's a quick sketch, but great that you can group and scale the objects and catch a likeness so quickly. I find capturing the appearance of those nearest and dearest harder than getting the jist of a stranger! Interesting to see what you've shifted and omitted for your composition - eg your wish to include the vine/ivy has made you move it to the left... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ruth. I started out sketching the scene while R was parking the car, then decided to fit him in (more or less) at the end - that's why he's got greenery growing into his face and a see-through arm :)

    I sketch my family a lot, since they're often around - the girls more than R though, as they tend to sit nicely still in the evening with their books, laptop, or in front of the telly. Practice makes it easier to get a likeness, but sometimes I don't really care whether it resembles or not - I just want to include the element of a figure in my sketch :)

    ReplyDelete