Thursday, 10 March 2011

Brush pen try out

I filled one of the Tria brush markers with India ink today. I had to wet the brush to get the ink flowing, and that is why some of the lines are a little pale here.

try out

The fibers of the brush are not very elastic or springy, which means it's hard to do dynamic and energetic strokes. But the line variation is good, and the ink runs okay - not fast enough to keep up with a broad, sweeping stroke, but then that adds a lot of texture with the paper peeping through.

let sleeping cats lie

I definitely look forward to experimenting more with this, and hope the brush doesn't clog up with dry ink!

6 comments:

  1. Does it require to remove the ink and clean the marker immediately after sketching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done - it's hard to control, with that indian ink - in fact when I tried (in similar sort of pen) I made a helluva mess, and now I only use those pens for water, as a transportable watercolour instrument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debu - I don't know yet. I plan on leaving the ink in the brush to see what happens.

    @Ruth - it's fun! The paper I'm sketching on absorbs the ink quickly, so I'm not having any trouble with smearing - this is partly due to the slow feed of the ink as well. I also have a batch of Pentel waterbrushes that I use for watercolour sketching - see the image in my blog header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know your Pentel water pen - that's like the one I use - is the Tria one different? I only know their Manga pens/markers. Nice expressionist-type drawings - !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tria has a softer tip - less springy than the Pentel. It also doesn't allow you to control flow, so doesn't work that well for watercolour mixing and painting, but very well for drawing.

    ReplyDelete