Friday, 1 April 2011

Homemade sketchbook

I've been wanting a sketchbook with a variety of paper in for a while, rather than just the same kind of paper throughout. Since I can't find this type of book anywhere I finally decided to make my own.

sketchbook process

I made a simple single signature sketchbook with a cover of stiff cardstock - it's not very complicated to do. I cut the papers I wanted to size and stacked them neatly, keeping them together with clips. I cut the cover to the same height but ½ cm wider to protect the edges of the pages, scored down the middle with a blunt paper knife, and marked where I wanted to punch holes for sewing.

Here are the stacked pages clipped onto the cover and marked for punching. I used my old dry point needle to make the holes:
sketchbook process

I placed the sketchbook on a folded blanket so I could push the needle right through - you can see how the holes pass right through the cover here:
sketchbook process

The thread I used for sewing is a strong waxed thread laid double. I punched five holes in the spine and started in the middle one - I will make a diagram if anyone is interested:
sketchbook process

Now the book is being blocked under a stack of heavy books - I'm leaving it there for the next 2-3 days and hoping it will then stay closed. I forgot to fold the papers of the signature individually first so it might take a little longer than it would otherwise have done, but I'm counting on it not making any difference apart from that.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely book, Ea - and generous sharing of know how! Great to have a book with different kinds of paper in it - you could sell the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should get sufficiently motivated to make something like this. I'd love to have various papers with me out and about.
    Watercolour, smooth bristol and 2 or 3 different colored papers would be wonderful to have under one cover.
    Thanks for sharing, and very glad to have found your blog.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely..
    helenboothrca.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/5/11 10:13

    what a great idea - so simple: at present I just stick different papers inside my old sketchbook before I go out sketching and now it won't close without a rubber band. Am therefore following your idea as this could be a much better way!
    Thank you

    Printchick

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Saw your sketches over on Urban Sketches and came here to visit. Following you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea. Please let me know when u are sketching near Flensburg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to see how this has inspired others - will endeavour to post an illustration of the sewing process as soon as my computer is back in working order.

    ReplyDelete